Are you going to trust Him?
Jesus said to His disciples “follow Me, I will make you fishers of men” but He didn’t say how. They went through turmoil. They went through character refinement, suffering, persecution but they indeed became fishers of men.
The call that is set before us is to “deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow”. We MUST learn to trust and obey.
Below is a sermon by Ify Alexis given on Sunday 22nd Nov 2015 and her sermon notes.
Trust & Obey
Are you going to trust Him?
Imagine the disciples not trusting God? Would they bother? At the sight of suffering they would cower.
Everything hinges on our ability to trust God. His promises aren’t anything to us if we don’t believe them.
“Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe.”
Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side.
Do not disbelieve, but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”
Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.””
John 20:24-29 ESV
Sometimes we just want God to prove Himself BEFORE we trust Him
But God is God all by Himself whether we believe Him or not.
“He that comes to God must FIRST believe that He Is…”
God is not moved by our silent treatment or doubts.
Do we trust Him?
“There’s no alternative to obedience. Not even sacrifices, invocations or tears. When God speaks there’s only one appropriate response – immediate unquestioning obedience”
– Evang Daniel Kolenda
- Trust His will, plans, actions ?
- Trust His ability for His word to not come back void.
- Trust that His ways are above ours?
- Trust that He has the perfect Birdseye view.
- He sees the end from the beginning
- Trust His ability to lead you
- Trust His ability to perfect all that concerns you
- Are you going to trust Him?
- When the storms of life come are you going to trust?
- Believing for others: Elijah with the widow of Zarephath – 1 Kings 17:8-24
- Believing for ourselves: Woman with the issue of blood – Mark 5:21-34
“The poor and needy are seeking water when there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. I the Lord will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.
I will open rivers on the bare heights, and fountains in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.”
Isaiah 41:17-18 AMP
- For the times we have doubted your faithfulness Lord we ask for your mercy
- For the times we’ve looked to other sources to fulfil
- For times we haven’t obeyed you to the utmost