Verse 44 – ALL THINGS in Common – echoed throughout Acts
One Body – Many Parts
– Let love be genuine.
– Abhor what is evil;
– hold fast to what is good.
– Love one another with brotherly affection.
– Outdo one another in showing honor.
– Do not be slothful in zeal,
– be fervent in spirit,
– serve the Lord.
– Rejoice in hope,
– be patient in tribulation,
– be constant in prayer.
– Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
– Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.
– Rejoice with those who rejoice,
– weep with those who weep.
– Live in harmony with one another.
– Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly.
– Never be wise in your own sight.
– Repay no one evil for evil, but
– give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
– If possible, so far as it depends on you,
– live peaceably with all.
– Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
– To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”
– Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
God cares for the needs of His Body and He desires us to do the same. To take a step out of our comfort zones, to enquire of one another, to ask of one another and seek to meet the needs of each one in the community.
God added numbers to the early church as they:
Continued in the teachings of the Apostles (love, affection, joy, peace with all men, holiness…)
Prayed (praying for one another and needs of the community around us. When we fall into prayerlessness we either grow comfortable in our own strength and become self-righteous or we begin to doubt that God can do anything about the situations that we are in.)
Fellowshipped (Koinonia – Means communion, joint participation; the share which one has in anything, participation, a gift jointly contributed, a collection, a contribution.)
Broke Bread – It keeps us focused on Jesus and the magnificent salvation He won for us at such huge expense on His part at Calvary.
Being Faithful Witnesses – We too are the proof of His ressurection. The transformation that has ocured in our hearts bc of the life of Christ. “translated from darkness into His marvellous light” our witness is how Christ Jesus has CHANGED us not the state He found us in. Authenticity in our walk with God is how the Word of God becomes flesh in us. Its a real part of us.
Fellowship is a place of grace, where mistakes aren’t rubbed in but rubbed out. Fellowship happens when mercy wins over judgement.