Here are a few brief tips to help you not only survive, but thrive at university:
- Play Hard!!! Study Harder!!! – A big well done for making it into university, you must have worked hard at your A-Levels, IB, B-Techs etc and here you are. University is NOT a joke neither is it easy (If you want to do well) you have to work hard, attend all lectures, make relationships with people on your course in the years above you (This will help a lot with coursework and projects etc). Don’t leave homework or coursework till the last-minute, it’s just unnecessary heartache. Make use of the Library and all resources. A REVISION TIMETABLE is an absolute must!
- Sleep!!! – It sounds obvious but it is so imperative! Know your body, some people can pull off ‘all-nighters’, some can’t. Make sure sleeping during lectures never occurs; you might miss out on something important. Also don’t overdo it, sleep can be the biggest enemy of progress sometimes.
- Money Management!!! – Whether you take out the full student loan or not, be wise with your money. Budget!!! Set aside money for the week, go food shopping with a list of things you need, don’t recklessly spend money on luxury food and forget the basics i.e. bread, milk. COOK, I can’t stress this enough, it will save you so much money, if you can’t then learn. Books: I would recommend you to buy your books from Amazon or eBay, they tend to be a lot cheaper than buying them from the uni book shop. Separate your RENT MONEY once your loan comes!!!
- Time Management!!! – First and foremost you’re in university to STUDY and get a Degree, everything after that needs to be prioritised, make a timetable. Plan things in advance, you’re never too young to be thinking about your future, where you want to be and how you’re going to get there, and time management is integral to this.
- Societies!!! – One of the best things about university is the opportunity given to every student to join the various dissimilar clubs and societies on offer. Getting involved in such, is a great way to make the most of your student life, boost your social skills, and enhance your employability. You’ll meet so many new people from different walks of life that way, people you can help greatly in the near or far future and people who will also help you tremendously in a similar way. Network and make friends.
- Practicalities!!! – If you’re living quite far away from your home, perhaps it’s better to buy some of your cookery or house essentials once you arrive there, it helps you to pack a little lighter. Also you don’t have to move your whole livelihood with you; this also helps when coming home.
- Mentorship and accountability!!! – Surround yourselves with like-minded people, people who will lift you up but also people you can lift up. Get close with people you know who have been through the university process and ask your questions. You’re not the first nor are you the last so make use of others experience and share yours too.
- Church & Bible Studies!!! – Ask God for discernment in finding a church if you won’t have one at your university home. Not every church is for you. I advise you to join the Christian Union, so you can grow spiritually this will also aid mentorship and accountability.
- Stay In The Word of God!!! – So important, don’t forget your bible… and don’t forget to open it! The grace to go to university was given by God. Put Him first place. Matthew 6:33 says “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well…” that includes your studies! Put God first!
- Enjoy!!! – With all that said and done, ENJOY IT!!! You deserve to
BE A GOOD REPRESENTATION OF CHRIST!!!
“Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit,striving together as one for the faith of the gospel” – Phillipians 1:27
My prayer for you: “Dear Heavenly Father, You made it possible for all of these people to go to university and for that I thank you. I pray you uphold each and every one of them by Your grace, that you draw them nearer to You. I pray you help make all the above come to pass Lord. In times of loneliness show them they aren’t alone, be their comfort, their keeper, their guidance, their provider and their sustainer. Most importantly, I pray Your divine will for each of their lives come to pass even at university, For in Jesus’ name I pray.” Amen.
By Ify Alexis Ossai